Au’ Natural PROS:
- Healthier hair that’s not stripped away of its natural oils.
- Less breakage, if kept moisturized. Because natural hair is stronger it can handle chemicals from hair dye better than relaxed hair. You also have the option to style curly or flat iron for a straight look, although excessive heat should be avoided.
Au’ Natural CONS:
- Major increase in daily maintenance.
- Straight styles may not last as long because humidity causes frizz.
- Easier to manage daily. Relaxers literally “relax” the curl of your natural texture resulting in a straight finish which is less prone to knots finish.
- Deals better with natural elements. When relaxed, your hair is permanently straightened– meaning neither wind, rain, or shine can change what the chemical has done. Unlike natural hair straightened by heat, when water/moisture hits relaxed hair, it can dry straight.
- Hair damage from years of harsh chemical use. Remember the scene from “Good Hair” when the scientist melts the aluminum can with that active ingredient in relaxers? Relaxers irreversibly alter the natural pH balance and chemical breakdown of your hair, thereby weakening each strand. Hair breakage and scalp irritation are very common side effects from improper application and/or maintenance. Also the chemicals in your hair don’t mix well with other chemicals (i.e. the chlorine in pools) and can further damage your lovely locks.
- Relaxed hair must be washed and deep conditioned/hydrated every week.
- A relaxer is one of the most drying chemical processes we can do to our hair
- Care must be taken after the use of a relaxer product or any chemical process to minimize hair breakage.